The Trim Story

Back in October 2013, I wrote that the trimming was complete and that I’d be posting pictures in a week or so – and hence close the chapter on the trimming. I also asked the question “Do chapters ever close?” and I think we all know the answer to that now!

Almost 6 months on, a lot has happened but, for a variety of reasons, I haven’t updated this blog so it’s high time I brought you all up to date. As an aside, it’s also taken a while to get used to using WordPress instead of MyOpera for the blog. I’ve used MyOpera for years and was very familiar with it so changing to WordPress was a bit fraught in places but I’m now beginning to get to grips with it. One advantage is that clicking on a photo will open a full size version so you can get at any detail that interests you.

The idea with the trimming was for John (The Trim Technician) to trim all the panels (that I had left with him back on his open day) in his workshop and then come down and fit them and complete the re-carpeting at my place. Most of this went to plan and, with luck on our side, we found a few dry days at the beginning of October so that John and Duncan could work from a temporary trimming bench in the garage and have the car out on the driveway to give them plenty of access room for fitting the carpets and panels.

Trimming_02

First up was the FatMat soundproofing which was softened with a heat gun and rolled on to get good adhesion and a smooth finish. This was applied all round the footwells, transmission tunnel and back shelf.

FatMat applicationTrimming_09

Whilst Duncan was doing that, John was fitting the rear wheel-arch trim and the rear trim panels – which is where things started to go wrong but more on that later . . .

Trimming rear wheel archTrimming_24

Once the FatMat and rear trim had been applied, the carpets were glued in place. These had been pre-cut based on the originals  and then trimmed to fit in-situ.

Trimming_18Trimming_25

One of the few things that I planned toPosition of the 2 new 8-way fuseboxes improve on over the original was the wiring and in particular to use the more reliable blade fuses rather than the glass types. I had decided to use two 8-way fuse-holders (one for switched and one for unswitched circuits) and had toyed with putting these on the bulkhead. In the end I decided to try and find a more discrete place in (order to preserve the impression of originality!). The panel on the A-post by the driver’s right knee seemed to offer the best compromise of being discrete but allowing reasonable access. The panel hinges out for even easier access and is held in place using an L-shaped bracket at floor level.

A trial fit of the dashboard, centre console and driver’s seat and it really is starting to look like a car again. The seats, in particular, were looking good – they had new seat squabs and head-rest inserts (courtesy of @Adrian) but used the original back foam since this turned out to be in good condition.Re-trimmed seat

 

Trimming_26

However, as I mentioned earlier, things started to go wrong when fitting the rear trim panel. In the photo below the front edge should have a flap of trim material so that it can be fitted under the door seal and cover the gap between the card and the body. The solution on the day to glue in some black trim material didn’t really work so needs a better solution which I’m still working on . . . 

rear trim panel gap

The next issue became apparent when the door cards were fitted – some of the trim cuts could be seen on the inner curves for the door pocket. The solution here was to fit some black piping around the pocket edges which works well and actually smartens up the card – but it shouldn’t have happened really so a bit disappointed in that.

Retrimmed doorcardRetrimmed door card

 

The Trim Story took place in October and it’s taken me till now to get it onto the blog so apologies for keeping you all waiting.  It has been more of a Saga than a Story mainly because sending the panels away for trimming  and then finishing off the trim on the drive is a bit of an unorthodox way of getting it done to say the least. Maybe there would have been better alternatives in hindsight but once the rear trim gap issue is resolved the result is going to be better than new.

There has been other progress over the winter including the re-wire and getting all the other ancillary bits bolted back on. That’s another story though and I hope it’s not going to be another 6 months before you read about that.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s